Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, February 25, 2019

Dylan: The Far Forgotten Lands of Sochi





"XELLO COMRADES" 
Well, this week was crazy. Next week will be crazier. The calling home announcement is sweet, but I’m in Russia, and they took our computers from the branch, so we are in a computer club and can’t call from here. So sorry fam.  I’ll try to find a way!!

Last week:
- Balled up and got all the gangsters numbers (definitely not because of my baller skills, which are nonexistent)
- for a moment when we were late going home, all the wonderful people of Russia came out because for 30 min we just had pleasant conversations and my comp went up to this guy and talked with him in the store and he was from Germany. We had our jackets so it wasn’t visible that we were “volunteers” But he knew that we were from our presence, he said, which I think is crazy how the Lord can do that, because I was carrying a bag of lobster chips looking like a bum. He told us how he had a sister who lived in San Diego and she became a member, but she does a few years ago.  He sent us off, but as we were leaving he called back for us and said he needed help, but he was leaving back to Germany soon, so he asked if we could meet.  So we did when we got back from our visa trip and he really messed up.  He’s in a big mess with a lot of money, and some Russian girl who wrecked him, but he wasn’t asking for money, just spiritual help, so we let him talk it out and gave him some comforting words and a blessing.  He went back to Germany the next morning, and he wanted us to give his info to the missionaries in Germany. There is more to this story, pretty crazy, but I can’t explain here, so wait until I get home.
-Visa trip to Armenia, I thought I was good as all was smooth. But my last stop back to Sochi, the detective pulled me aside and interrogated me again. At this point it is just old. It was only for about 20 minutes this time though.
-Some police officers stopped these guys right in front of us and asked for their documents.  A minute later we see they caught up and tackled the guy on the floor.
-We went on a sick hike to some waterfall in a canyon with a potential.  It was sketchy and muddy.  I haven’t seen anything that pretty since I’ve been here!
-Our branch president called a branch mission leader, one of the old presidency who denied any other calling.  But he seemed excited to help us in the work.  So we met with him and he told him this stuff how he can help us with the work and how we can help him and made this plan for him. And he was like, “well, I’m really busy with my Youtube channel” (about fixing computers and has like 3 followers). But he said he wouldn’t be able to help us with any of the stuff, but he announced that if we have someone who is really serious and really progressing and is 100% going to be baptized he will drop whatever he has and will come and help us teach him.  WOOOOW What a hero.  I’m glad we have people here that are so willing to help hahahahahaha.  He also told us that he accepted the calling because he had this dream of baptizing someone.  So I hope he is ready to come at the end of the show to save the day!

This Week:
-We went on splits to Krasnador, which is the land of milk and honey on our mission, and the place I was supposed to go to until Pres changed me last second here.  But I like to help an area grow and get started better anyway.
-On the train we met this guy from Jordan who worked in Dubai as a big business man. Interesting guy…forget it.  Everyone I meet here is interesting.
-Krasnador was sick. Our district leader is way depressed so we got him fired up and grinded all day! Met so many great people got so many numbers!  Such a blessed land.
-The next day I was with his comp who is the trunkiest elder I’ve met.  It was still a good day. We also got 24 burgers for all 4  of us that night.
-The next morning we went on a train to Tuapse and met with our BP, and then met with people there and had an eng night.  It’s the smallest group, bit it is our fun side project and we are trying to revive it.  We found two people who are very interested and we will teach them when we go this week. We drove back, and 3 hours later got home at midnight. 
-It is my goal to get the activities pumpin’, because that is the only thing we can invite people to here in Russia. So I went ham and called every number in our phone and it was packed. It was a lot better from last week with 3 people, this is only our second game night, so I’m excited for what is to come.  It’s just so nice to have support form our BP.  I’m really excited for what’s to come here in Sochi!
-Best part of my week, maybe my mission, is when I called the elders in my old area and they told me how there are a lot of great things going on in Volgograd and some of the potentials I was blessed to find are coming to church and becoming investigators, but the best news was one of my best friends in Russia that I helped find again (he was apparently taught a few years back, but we found him on the street), after a lot of work we started teaching him and I just heard that he asked them that he wants to be baptized now and will get baptized this or next week.  I was so happy and touched.  I started to tear up and my heart was so full.  I just love him so much and I always knew that he would one day, and I’m so glad I listened to those promptings to reach out to him again and again.  I gave my all to that area and it brings me such joy that I can’t explain. I’ve never had such a feeling, I feel like I just work and work and work some more but nothing ever happens.  But I have the hope that one day the Lord will prepare the way for someone through my efforts. And He has! I was so excited I couldn’t sleep because I was too excited about the work the next day.  I know that God has others in my path that He knows I will help, and I hope to do all that I can to do so.


Love you all,
Elder VanBuskirk


We had an investigator come to church for the first time and he wanted to take phots of us. I thgouth you would think they were funny. Hey can you send me some pics from EFY that I had, we are having a conference and they gave it a go to invite nonmembers here, so I want to show them some pictures and try to get them excited because after going to that I'm sure it will be a almost guarantee getting to be baptized!

WOW THOSE PAINTINGS ARE SO GOOD! You finally finished the temple painting!  I really like the whale pic!  Grandpa is a stud.  I miss his cooking!  That Christmas painting is amazing!  So talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment