Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, March 18, 2019

Dylan: Polar Plunge


Hey there, I'm still somewhere in Russsia! 

 Well we got a call from my comp’s parents late at night (they had permission) because someone hacked his email, surprise, surprise, and it got out to some anti-Mormon and he got it out there and made it sound like we were in horrible conditions, and went viral and the church headquarters called his Dad and told them about the situation and how we are in "Direct Danger". We aren’t in danger, I guarantee you mom. But we did have the option to leave our mission if we don't feel safe. Well, we are staying in Russia until the end. The elders are still detained and President is having a surprise mission conference this Friday that we just found out today to talk about the situation, which is crazy because our mission is so spread apart we have never had one since I've been here. Almost every companion has gotten a text from an unknown number saying "Hey my name is Vlad, I hear you have free English clubs or lessons, when and where is it?" as if we are that stupid. It's just scary to know that if the government wants right now, all they have to do is snap their fingers and we will all be out of here. 

Anyways let's talk about this week.

-We have found some cool people, even though there is close to nobody out on the streets I wonder why... But I love the snow and cold!!! Makes me feel so Russian.
-Met this guy and he invited us to his place the next day. He turned out to be a Krishna, which is that religion that believes that God sometimes come in the form of a blue God. His house was way hippied out. We had some fancy herbal tea and played some hippy instruments. 





-FAVORITE MOMENT MAYBE IN RUSSIA- So we are walking along the frozen Volga and we see these pine trees planted in the ice on the river, so we thought that was rather strange and needed some investigating. We came to it and found a hidden pool opening to the frozen river with a ladder going down to it, then a huge fat hairy Russian man came and got buck naked jumped in his speedo, did his exercise, and pre-ritual, then we watched our new friend dunk himself aggressively 6 times in the freezing water. He got out and finished his ritual. I can't explain the pure joy I felt while watching that event. 

-They had a concert on Sunday in this city to celebrate Russia taking Crimea and they had this huge sign saying #Crimea is ours (in Russian). They are such savages here. 
-Also saw a dead guy from a really bad car accident, really sad. 
It's been a good week. We met our branch we are now in charge of which consists of the Branch Pres, another preiesthood holder who is mentally challenged but is a complete sweetheart, 10 bobs (babushkas) and somehow 10 kids! 

Keep Russia in your Prayers,
 Much Love Elder VanBuskirk



Thanks MOM!  I love you!  I guarantee everything is okay here.  We want to be here.  It is safe. The only thing that could happen is they pull us out of Russia, or somehow I also get thrown into prison for a little bit, but if that ever happened, know that I would love it and be safer in there than outside and I would be enjoying every moment. SO nothing to worry about!





















No comments:

Post a Comment