Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, March 25, 2019

Derek: Captain's Log: Iguana



So, Friday night at like ten-ish we get this knock at the door. I open it to find some dude in his 30s just kinda chillen’ there. Then we had an interesting conversation that went a little like this.
Me- ¿Hey what's up?
Jose- I'm good, thanks. But I have a question.
Me- Ok, sure.
Jose- Ok. ¿Do you have a lizard thing?
Me- ¿Like a snake?
Jose- no no, just a really big lizard.
Me- ¡Oh, like an Iguana!
-¡Exactly!
-No man, I don't have one.
-¿Really? Someone said that the Mormons had one.
-I wish.
-¿So, you don't have one?
-¿I'm positive, but are you looking to buy an iguana or something?
-No, I don't want to buy one because I already have an iguana.
-That is super cool.
-Yeah, It's like this big.
-¡Wow! That's a pretty big Iguana.
-¿Yeah, but are sure you don't have one?
-I think I would have noticed a lizard about that size in the house.
-...
-...
-...
-¿So, brother what's your name?
-Oh I'm Jose. I live like right there.
-Well nice to meet you, Jose. I'm Elder VanBuskirk
-¿Elden What?
-Elder VanBuskirk. It's my last name.
-cool.
-...
-...
-...
-Ok well good night
-Alright, good night Jose.




Pretty great. But I'll just leave the analysis to you guys.

So Monday after using the computer to write and call home for an amount of time that seemed good according to my judgment. We went to the house of Deilin and her family to give them a cake we made for her and her sister's birthday. We are teaching her and her mom, and have already baptized her sister. But as we were teaching the mother she told us that they didn't have enough money to do anything for her birthday. So my comp and I put money together and made them a cake. It wasn't super good, but as our ward mission leader said, you can't remember the special days with out cake. Anyway I was cool and they were super grateful. But It was kinda sad when the now 9-year-old girl Deilin told me that she received a full 2 dollars as her only birthday gift. And she seemed to be really happy about it. It was just humbling to think about how good we have it at times, when we complain about not having it all when there are some people out there who find a way to be really happy with the little they have.



Speaking of cake, this week we had 4 baptisms. The 4 of them were really excited and seemed to really enjoy it. My comp even got to do his first ever baptisms, so that was super cool. We even had so many people there, but, sadly there wasn't any cake so I wouldn't doubt if they forgot about the whole thing by next week.

Also this week we had exchanges. I took a few pics with a machete and transfers came so I’ll be here for 6 more weeks with this same comps.


She is not 59. Just one turned 5 and the other turned 9.



Spot the difference?






No comments:

Post a Comment