Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, January 29, 2018

Derek: Captin's Log Week 12


 And it came to pass when they were all baptized and had come up out of the water, the Holy Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire. (3 Nephi 19:13)

This week has been super great. We had 4 baptisms and confirmations this week! So we ended up not getting permission from the president to go to the temple, but I wasn’t going to let that get me down, because later that day was our baptisms. So we met at of church building here in Villa and we took a whole bus of members and investigators to the baptism with us. It was stressful at first because we went looking for our investigators and we couldn't find them. Then we heard that they where already all on the bus waiting for us. Which was great, but I still walked a ton for no reason. But the bus ride was super fun. We had two investigators come with us that I feel real good about. One is this girl, named Eliangy, that just showed up to church one day with her friend so we got her info and visited her house. I was on exchanges here in Villa for both of those days so my comp didn't even meet this girl until yesterday. Anyways, we showed up to her house yesterday and she was super excited to hear our message so we invited her whole family and some friends there to join our lesson. And as soon as we started, the first thing she told us was that she enjoyed the baptism and asked when she could have her's. Obviously I was super excited. This has been the second time this has happened so that's pretty great. But we told her if she keeps attending church, reads, prays, and gains a testimony, then in time she (and hopefully her family) will get baptized. The other investigator who went was Rafael. We haven’t been able to actually teach him a lesson yet for one reason or another, but he has already been to church twice and seems really interested in our message. We plan to teach him and his family this week.

So the baptism itself was pretty great. Our district had 7 baptisms in total and our area alone had 4 of those. It started with a hymn, prayer short message, a beautiful song sung by my comp and others, then the actual baptisms. So my comp and I didn't physically baptize anybody. That is because the members will stay and we will leave. But, I don't mind because this was about them and not us. The whole baptism went super well and afterwards some of the elders and I celebrated with chimmiys. (which is literally just a hamburger, but just don't tell a Dominican that or they will get upset). The next day we got to watch them receive the Holy Ghost in sacrament meeting. Which is honestly my favorite part, because that’s where they become cleansed, become a member, and most importantly receive the Holy Ghost as a constant companion in there lives.

Also this week I went on two more exchanges, which means I have 5 in total which is a ton for only one transfer. I spent a day with my Zone Leader, Elder Lopez, from Guatemala. He only spoke Spanish so it was kinda hard, but we still got to talk and we were able to understand what each other was saying. Then the next day I took this other elder, Elder Smith, who hasn't even finished his training yet either, back to Villa. We actually did pretty well for not knowing too much Spanish and I had to teach a lot of each lesson myself, which was good practice. This week I also ran out of money. We have this thing called an apoyo, which is like an allowance, that we are supposed to get every 2 weeks, but It's been more then two and a half. So I had to use some of my personal money, which isn't good. So I am currently out of my apoyo money right now but I'm just glad we booked dinner appointments this week. So I'm just hoping that gets in here soon. 

I also just found out that Nathan is going to BYU Hawaii with me, so that’s super exciting, but that’s still two years away though.



Our investigators that were baptized on Saturday are the 4 kids in the middle standing in front of the Church sign. The two guys under them are the members who did the baptisms.





Here is a pic of me and a frozen pig head. I also tried slaughtering a chicken for an investigator last week, but it didn't work out. And I’m not going to explain either story.

No comments:

Post a Comment