Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, January 1, 2018

Derek:Captin's Log Week 8: Nunca Triste Siempre Feliz




I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.(Alma 29:9)


So, because of one reson or another, I wasn’t able to email for 3 weeks. Anyways, I have now spent 2 full weeks in the field. I am serving in an area called Villa Altagracia. We are in one of the most northern areas of the mission. It is super pretty here and we are in the beautiful green mountains. It’s not too humid or hot here and it rains a lot. The members are great and always feed us and give referrals. Everyone calls this area the promised land they say that its all down here from here. It's also one of the biggest areas in the mission with a freeway right in the middle of it that we need to cross. My companion is the redhead devil named Elder Chapman. He is from Arizona and he is a great missionary from 3:30 to 9:30 (after he takes his naps), Which I just use as extended language study because I definitely need it.  And he doesn't ever contact. He says that if I want to contact I’ll have to do it myself. But I don’t know Spanish. But he'll see, I’m just going to keep sucking at it until he decides to help. He only has 7 months left and I just found out that he is 24 years old. And the fire isn’t there anymore. But don’t worry. That’s not gonna put me down. But other than that, he is pretty cool and easy to get along with.

OK, now time for the good part the work. I commited these 2 sisters to baptism last week. They are 14 and 15 and live with their grandma. I have been with them for all the lessons and they are truly the elect. They love and read everything we give them. They where supposed to be baptized net week but move it back to the 27th because the whole district is gonna try to get baptisms on the same day. My goal is to have 5 baptism from our area and we have some really close but a big problem is that a bunch of couples that we are teaching live to together but aren’t married and they can’t get baptized until they do. And marriage is super expensive here. Well not really, but no one has money.

It is super sad to see the living conditions here. No one has money and they are not good with the money they have. They always spend it on nice clothes or drugs and alcohol. Our neighbours are the perfect example, they have no electricity, water, or anything and the always ask us for stuff. Which is chill, but then every night the get dressed in their really nice clothes and party and get drunk all night long. But anyways, at least they are super nice, except the tigres, or gangsters. They all are also really good at playing dominos here. That’s pretty much how I spent my whole free time for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. I’ve gotten pretty good at playing against other missionaries but I get my butt handed to me when I play against the old guys in the streets. I have also already gotten super sick, I’ve gotten what they call the "Double Dragon". I had to stop 6 times between the mission-wide Christmas party and my house because of diarrhea or throw-up. It sucked.

We are so blessed because the ward made it a goal to each give us a referral before the end of march. Right now we are teaching 2 different families that just need to get married, a recent contacts younger brother, a mother and daughter, the two sisters and more. But those are the ones that are moving the most along. There are also 2 more that I haven’t met yet because they are out of town, but I heard that they are moving along well. My Spanish sucks, of course, but I am understanding a ton of what's been said and I can bear my testimony and prayer in Spanish. My reading has been getting better; I just finished the Book of Jacob in Spanish out loud. And my reading is better than most people here. And that’s not a boast, the people here are just super uneducated. 


I am having a blast and am learning and teaching a lot. I know the importance of my job here and I am doing everything in my power to do the will of the Lord and become the most hardworking and obedient missionary that I can be. And even though a lot of these other missionaries say that I’ll lose my fire and I’ll end up sleeping in and tacking naps, but I know I won’t. This work is too important. But don't worry I still am still trying to have fun at the same time. Hope you all have an amazing new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment