Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, October 15, 2018

Dylan: I am a Spoon





Hello comrades.

So first, this probably only pertains to my mom, but they are only receiving packages that they have a tracking number for, so send the tracking number to me or the mission office.

-We had ZC in Volgograd (the city where I serve) so everyone came down a day early so they could see the huge WWII Memorial statue, always sweet. 

-President Ottesen explained how he wants us to completely change how we do missionary work here. He was studying the scriptures and came across the story of Ammon and felt very impressed that we need to change or missionary work and to do what he did. So He asked us to don't even bring up the church at all when we talk to them, besides if they ask we say we are our volunteers for our church, and then say its name, and say that we do service for our members and anyone else that we can, and then to bring the convo off us and back on them. And if we meet them to not even talk about the church at all but to just have deep conversations just about them and to gain their trust. He also gave us a plan to bump up our service to the members. I have been struggling for a long time on how we can improve the work here with all these obstacles ahead, and I feel very strongly that what he taught us and told us to do is divine revelation for our mission. They have just been getting stricter and stricter on the law and we need to back off even more. But I feel that this is what God wants us to do, and that it will be more effective and do more good for the church. 

- Bap date!!!! It's been the first bap date I've had in months (and the other ones didn't work out),  I'm so excited for her! Her name is Irena. Her husband is a recent convert from Africa. It is truly amazing how ready she is; we really haven't done anything, God has done all the work, we really are just spoons, or at least that's how I feel.

-I might have gotten baptized in the Provaslavnic church. There is no way of knowing for sure.

I was reading Ammon’s great missionary story this week, and I love Ammon’s attitude. I love how when bad things happen, instead of doing what many would do and be afraid as if all is doomed, he gets excited because he realizes it as a missionary opportunity and an opportunity where he can show the great power of God. I feel like so many times "bad things" or inconvenient things happen, but if we could have the faith and attitude as Ammon, we can make those experiences into great missionary moments. 

This week, while on splits, we had the opportunity to serve the branch president help build the foundation wall of his house he is building. It was a miracle how we got there though, we only had a marshrrotka(van) number and his address to go by. They lived in a different city and we had no map of it and had no idea how to get there. We somehow saw the marshrrotka at the first bus stop we tried (not knowing which one it stops at) and we got into to the city, and no one in the van knew where that street was or what stop to get off at, so we just decided that we would get off at the next one, we did. We looked across the street and thought we would ask this guy talking to his friend. He somewhat knew and was kind enough to walk us a portion of the way there, and than roughly explained the rest of the way, we overshot the road, and was lost in this little village. We asked everyone we saw on the dirt roads which wasn't much, but nobody knew where that address was. We somehow found our way on the right street, and had a wonderful service opportunity and put some walls up. I also got to use the century old outhouse!

Elder VanB

Mom!  I love you so much!  Sorry that I haven’t been able to send any pictures or voice recordings.  I thgouht I mentioned it to you that I have no access to downloading pictures while I’ here in this area because we don’t have access to the church computers and we don’t have a place to download at this computer club.  I have taken pictures though.  I lost my really cheap camera, but I have my gopro, so I have taken some pics, but I don’t like to take it with me everywhere because I don’t want to lose it.  So can I buy a new camera or if you are sending another package soon, have you send one?  I’m sorry about the pictures.  I’ll probably leave this area after another transfer.  I love you so much.  Thank you for what you do fe me and for excessively caring for me.  You are the best!  Love, Elder VanBuskirk






No comments:

Post a Comment