Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, April 9, 2018

Derek: Captain's Log Week 22: La Playa de Haina



"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me...  When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" (Joseph Smith History 16:17) 

So first off, I'm not getting a river baptism yet. So here’s what happened. This week we asked the members what they thought about a river baptism here. There response was all the same. "Where, in the Beach of Haina?" So let me explain something; this river is so filthy that they nicknamed it the Beach of Haine. And, by the way, Haina is a city here in my mission, that I also visited as my exchanges in the MTC, but it is the 4th most polluted city in the world. So yeah... We went back to look at the river again but a little more upstream and I saw what they where talking about: trash everywhere. But all of the members suggested a different river because it was cleaner. Turns out it's the same river just super upstream. So it’s a beautiful river until it reaches people. And I'm am not upset that I won't be having a river baptism, just mad that I didn't know this before I got dunked in it.

Ok, so I finished the Pearl of Great Price this morning, which means that for the next 150 days I'll be reading the Bible. Yeah!!! Also I only got to listen to 2 talks from conference this week because I accidently broke my flash drive on Tuesday. But don't worry, I bought a metal one this time, so we are good. Also we have 2 fechas for the 21st. We won't be getting a lot of baptisms this transfer, but my comp and I are working super hard and really trying to teach people, not lessons. So we are planting a lot of seeds, and families too, but they probably won’t be baptized until I leave here. 

Yesterday I hit 5 months in the field, which feels impossible. I feel like I was at In‘N Out with the guys a month ago. I am going on exchanges with Elder Vigil this Thursday, and that will be fun. But he was my comp in the MTC so his Spanish isn't perfect either, just probably better then mine. Also, I won't be able to write until next Thursday because we are changing our P-day to go to the temple, which I’m super excited about. And maybe the zoo too. And we will be doing paint ball again that next Monday. I am the only missionary still here since paintball so everyone in the zone wants to go now. But joke’s on them because I’ve got the practice. That’s pretty much it. And we have a zone meeting tomorrow and my package will be there.

 Hey Mom. I am so excited for Donovan. I have been praying for them every night. And it’s nice to know your and Nathan’s hard work is getting paid of to. So you got my package? That’s great! Did you get the letter that says what is for who? I’m sorry if its kinda lame. I’m not really in a touristy place right now. I have your package. Well... my zone leader does but I will get it tomorrow.

Sweet, that’s what I’m praying for; for Dylan to figure out how to find people too. Ok, I’m gonna email Nathan right now for his birthday. And tell Caleb that he needs to watch Ben Shapiro so he can back up his claims. Also tell Caleb that I said his principals and school have the obligation to protect his freedom of speech. This has been president since the Supreme Court’s decision on Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District


Thanks for spoiling Eyrings talk for me, mom. And I spent so much time writing all those letters for all of you. Your welcome. Well, I gotta go. Love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment