Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them;
and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain,
and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. Jeremiah 16:16

Monday, April 2, 2018

Dylan: AHHHHHHHHH!!!



WOW my heart is full! We woke up this morning and saw the text of the temple going to be in Russia from our members who have been staying up very late anxiously watching general conference and they were too excited to keep it in! We ran so fast to the church to see the unbelievable news for ourselves! And when we watched it with all the suspense President Nelson put into it. We screamed with joy and the Spirit was so strong! We both started crying so hard, I don't think I've ever felt the Spirit so hard before in my life. We replayed it at least 6 times, every time the Spirit rushing through my body and tears rolling down my face. I don't think people understand how great of a miracle this is, I don't think any one can understand unless if they are a part of the fragile and challenging work here in Russia. Just this past week I made a comment with the mission president and his wife about a temple being in Russia, and even they didn't think it would be possible for a long time, at least 10 to 20 years from now, because things for the church are on such a tight string as they are cutting down on things and so forth, not to mention that the government has to be able to go in any building in Russia. We would have never expected this wonderful news to come so soon. My joy is full after knowing and loving all of these amazing members and seeing the great sacrifices they have to make, and the great hope this gives to the members of this nation. I am so grateful to be here in Russia; it is beyond challenging, but God's work and kingdom will press forward and the prophets words will be fulfilled. I don't know how they did it, but I know that nothing will be able to stop the great kingdom of the Lord! 




Splits in Center Rostov 
This week was a hard one as I spent most of it in Center with a Russian companion who spoke no English and I really can't speak any Russian, but we had 2 lessons the 3 days I was there, both with members. So you can imagine we had a lot of free time on our hands, so we walked around the city trying to have conversations with people. We went into this huge library and tried talking to some people there and were able to get 2 numbers. I also asked the librarians if they had any Book of Mormons and she was so lost, hahaha. So yeah, that consists of the finding activities in Russia, since you can't say anything about the church or even invite them to church. But luckily we can invite them to play ping pong, so that's really successful..., but I am determined to find out how to successfully find out how to find people to make investigators through all the rules. I was able to start a few more conversations, but it was very challenging because the Russian companion I was on splits with would just stand there and not say anything while I was very obviously struggling trying to talk to these random people, and my comp would just look at me like I was crazy and laugh at my Russian, and did not help me at all even though he spoke perfect Russian and knew exactly what we are trying to do, being one of the older volunteers in the mission. So that was very frustrating. But somehow we were able to get a few numbers. We also were able to see the world cup stadium from afar, so that was cool. Thursday he was with me but in my area, so I had some lessons already planned so we were ok. 


Transfer Calls
So we got transfer calls, and I just finished training. I will stay in Severny for another transfer, so that will be fun to lead the area, and I am getting my trainer's trainer as my new companion so that will be exciting. I am really excited because I had a split with him and I think he is the hardest working missionary on the mission, and he just goes and goes and that’s how I want to be. So it will be exciting to have a older experienced missionary who has a lot of drive. He was also born in Latvia and his whole family moved to Oregon when he was young, his parents only speaking Russian, so he understands perfectly. He got baptized a year before his mission and is the only member in his family. His tennis partner in High school told him about the church after they graduated. And Elder Sweeney, my current companion, is going to Krasnodar. 

An Easter to Remember
Church was great, and later we went to one of our very favorite inactive, now active;) members’ and gave them a lesson and we sang hymns. It just made me so happy that from California on the other side of the world there is a mother and daughter in tiny one room apartment in a big city in Russia who are praising God and are looking forward to His coming as we do. They fed us this thing called Slava which is practically just a big block of salted pig fat (real good stuff) and I ate the most disgusting soup of my life. It was a cold soup with Russian butter milk (which is sooo nasty by the way), carbonated water, boiled eggs, vegetables and other stuff. It may not sound that gross but it was so nasty. I was also very sick that day and if I ate any more, which she gave us a big bowl, I was going to throw up. They both left the room for a quick second and I was able to put most of it back in the pot on the other side of the room without them seeing. It was so funny. 







On the way home we had the most unusual encounter. A man came up to us and said that God has called him in a dream or something to go preach his gospel. He said that there is a prophet today on the Earth and is name is Leaona are something. I thought he was drunk or something but he seemed totally in control. He wouldn't give us his name because he said that would take away the glory from God, so he said he wants to talk about God with us, and hey we will take anyone we can at this point. But he didn't have a phone. He also asked to stay the night with us, but we told him when church starts and the address. At the end of our conversation on the street that night he shook my hand for an incredibly long time and gave me 1 ruble (which is worth 2 cents) and he walked off. WOW we have been doing missionary work all wrong! We can learn a thing or two from him.

Love you all. The Church is True! 

Elder VanBuskirk














No comments:

Post a Comment